Hello

Welcome to the Smith family blog, where our life is told. The purpose of this page is to share our life with family, friends and co-laborers. We work for a Christian Junior College called Ignite, located in Christiansburg, VA. Ignite exists to educate, train, and equip emerging leaders to discover and pursue their Life-Mission. We are part of that story, and this is where that story is shared. Enjoy.

The Smiths


Friday, December 31, 2010

Like Jesus

Hello Friends & Family,
Happy New Years Eve Day!  I'm wondering what party plans are underway to ring in the New Year!  For me and my house, we will probably sleep into 2011 - exciting I know.  I just don't see that keeping the girls up till midnight to see a ball drop will be worth the tiredness tomorrow.  Restfulness beats tiredness every time.  However you choose to celebrate the New Year is up to you, I only hope you have fun and stay safe.


I began a new reading plan a couple days ago called "Essential Jesus".  It's a 100 day plan that leads you through OT and NT scriptures about Jesus.  So far it's been refreshing to land on a few verses, meditate on them and allow God to direct my steps for the day.  Today I read Philippians 2:1-11, and this was my takeaway:


"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider other better than yourself. You should not only look to your own interests, but also to the interests of others - your attititude should be the same as that of Christ."


I often think that my disciplines in selflessness are spot on - I put others before myself, I recognize and address the needs of others before my own, I'm not fixated on appearing significant to others.  These are my immediate thoughts.  It sounds a bit self righteous, as though I have my head on right.  The gross reality is that I do struggle to live in humility and selflessness. I often find selfish motives behind decisions I make.  I can even uncover moments in life where I have been annoyed by others with legitimate needs - much like the attitude of the disciples prior to Jesus feeding the five thousand.  "Their hunger isn't our problem"...was their conclusion.  


I am convicted when I observe Jesus' life.  EVERY moment, EVERY encounter and EVERY action of Jesus' life was honest, true and humble.  And here in Philippians we are told that our "attitude should be the same as that of Christ."  I don't see much wiggle room in that statement.  
The sad thing is that I often present Jesus with excuses and reasons for my selfish attitude.  This is why these verses are so powerful.  Jesus is the central figure of everything.  The world was created through Him.  Without Him nothing was made that has been made.  I live and move and exist because of Him.  All this is true of Jesus and still He is the servant of ALL.  This is where I ask myself, "Is my attitude the same as that of Christ?"


I want to be Like Jesus.  (Sounds like a good New Year's Resolution)


Love,
The Smith's

No comments:

Post a Comment